Hope everything is going awesome! Remember there is an extra 50 points per person for turning in your weekly total to me by noon monday!
Beck week 2
Day 1: Monitor your eating
Immediately after finishing each meal and snack write it down. Give yourself credit when you follow your diet. Respond to sabotaging thoughts if you don't so you get back on track.
Benefits:
It helps you remain accountable for what you eat.
It helps you strengthen your motivation
It helps build confidence
It helps you recognize and solve problems
You get your points for the day if you do!
Day 2: Stop fooling yourself!
Ways people rationalize their eating:
it's not a whole piece
I'll only eat it this one time
it's not that fattening
I'll make up for it by eating less later
I paid for it
no one will see me eat it
everyone else is eating it
I'm upset and I just don't care
I really want it
It is not ok. If you make a habit of eating unplanned foods or off limit foods, you won't be making a permanent change.
Day 3 Say “Oh well” to disappointment
You have chosen to follow a new plan for your life because it is good for you. Stick with it!
Examples: I want a donut. Oh well.
I want a hamburger. Oh well.
I don't want to exercise today. Oh well.
Just because you want it doesn't mean you give in. You can complain, but get over it and keep going!
Day 4: Counter unfairness syndrome
Put fairness into perspective. Remind yourself why you are dieting (remember your card?) and make a mental list of the advantages of what you are doing. Focus on the positive!
Day 5: Deal with discouragement
Are you thinking “It shouldn't be this hard” “I'll never be able to keep this up” “I don't want to do this anymore.” Here is what to do.
Add up the difficult hours. You think it was a hard week? Look back and figure out how much time you spent thinking about or working on the diet. I bet it doesn't seem very long compared to the other hours in the week.
Focus on what you can do today. Don't take on the whole world, just take on today and do the best you can.
Day 6: Identify Sabotaging thoughts.
There are common thoughts that are probably going through your head. By identifying them, you can label them as the sabotage they are. Here are some examples:
Dieting is too hard I really want it I have no willpower
I don't care I'll make up for it later I can start dieting again tomorrow
It's not fair I'll end up eating it eventually
Day 7: Recognize thinking mistakes
All or nothing thinking. I am either completely on my diet, or completely off my diet.
Negative Fortune Telling. You predict the future negatively without considering the positive outcomes.
Overly positive Fortune Telling. You predict the future so positively you trick yourself thinking you don't even have to do the work.
Emotional Reasoning. You think your ideas must be true even though objective evidence says not. I feel like a failure for straying, so I must be a failure.
Mind Reading. You are sure of what others are thinking. She'll think I am rude if I don't take a brownie.
Self-deluding thinking. If no one sees me, it doesn't count.
Unhelpful rules. I can't waste food. I can't inconvenience my family by cooking healthy just because I chose to be healthier.
Justification. You link two unrelated concepts to justify your eating. I deserve to eat because I am so stressed out.
Exaggerated thinking. You make a situation seem bigger than it is. I can't stand this craving.
No comments:
Post a Comment