Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week One Beck Stuff

I was talking to Kinz and she thinks I should post a whole week of the BECK at a time, so I thought I would go for it. Now you can see how you are earning your 10 points!

Day 1: Record the Advantages of your program

Today, you need to make a “response card,” a card you keep on you all the time to help respond to negative thoughts. On a card or piece of paper (remember, you have to keep it with you, so small and durable) write your reasons for participating in this diet. Try to list reasons from most important to least important.

Example: I'll have more energy

I'll be supporting my wife

I will be a good example to my kids

I won't feel so self conscious

I want to beat Kortni SO BADLY!


Whatever is going to motivate you. Whenever you are tempted to go off your diet or not drink water, exercise, etc. you pull out your card and look at why you want to do this.


Day 2: Eat Sitting Down


Do you do the following?

  • Take free samples at the grocery store

  • Taste food as you prepare meals

  • sneak bits of food when you clear the table

  • munch while you walk around talking on the phone

  • nibble on something you see in the refridgerator while on your way to getting something else out.

Calories add up, so you should be conscious of what you are eating. Since you are probably eating less food, it become important to see it all spread out in front of you and you will be more psychologically satisfied. Therefore, no munching, sit down and notice that you are eating.


Day 3: Give yourself credit/get back on track

No one is perfect. Focus on the good things you are doing with your diet and be proud. If you mess up, move on. If you dwell on a failure, it is likely to snowball.

Example: You eat a big piece of cake. 500 calories. If you just move on, you have an extra 500 calories. If you dwell, you might say today doesn't matter anymore. Add a donut (now you are up to 800 calories) some icecream (1,200 calories) a candy bar (1,500) spme potato chips, a muffin, a pretel, a few cookies (3,500) and now you have eaten 2 days worth of calories instead of just that extra 500.


So be proud of what you do right and let go of what you don't.


Day 4: Eat slowly and mindfully

  • When you eat slowly, your brain has time to register that you are full

  • When you notice every mouthful, you feel more satisfied when the food is gone.

Day 5: Overcome cravings

  • label it. Tell youself this is just a craving.

  • Stand firm. You have reasons to say no.

  • Imagine the aftermath. You get what you want, but you lose your points, you feel guilty for breaking the diet, and you are letting Kortni win your cash!

  • Distance yourself physically from the food you crave.

  • Drink a no-low calorie beverage (And it goes to your 2 liters!).

  • Distract yourself. By the time you finish what you have to do, your craving won't be so strong.


Day 6: Prevent unplanned eating

You have made a plan and you will follow it, no ifs ands or buts! Following a rule eliminates the struggle over what to eat or not eat. Take out your card of reasons and write on it NO CHOICE. When you read that, you will remember you already made the choice, so you don't have one now.

Day 7: Change your definition of full

After a meal, ask yourself " could I go for a brisk walk after this?" If the answer is yes, good job! That is normal fullness. If not, tell yourself that this is overeating, not normal fullness. Look for and remove triggers of overeating.

For me, that means clearing leftovers off the table instead of sitting and talking after a meal. If I stay at the table and talk, I keep picking at food, even if I'm stuffed.


No comments: